Monday, October 09, 2006

Sticks, Twigs, and Lemons

The Arba Minnim shuk at Mahane Yehuda:



A wise man once told me how to find a good, kosher etrog: Find the choosiest costumers in the shop and watch them pick up and discard etrog after etrog. When they find one they need to examine closely, maybe even pull out a magnifying glass, and then put it back - grab that one.




I thought I found my etrog when I saw these guys. They spent at least 10 minutes going back and forth on this one before deciding to buy it.

5 Comments:

At 3:18 PM, Blogger tafka PP said...

Do you know, reading this I realise that I watched someone do the same yesterday with Sunglasses - LeHavdil!

Moadim LeSimcha

 
At 9:22 PM, Blogger Kalman Rushdie said...

Tafka PP - Maybe that's the real secret to good shopping. Oh, the things you learn doing mitzvahs!

 
At 9:08 PM, Blogger oishkapipik said...

Its a bit too much for me Kalman, I'll tell you!! Next year I am going to bring my magnifying glass and spend 20 minutes checking out that v shaped bambo holder that you put 3 of the 4 minim into.

I hope all is well with you, haven't spoke to you for about a year

 
At 10:48 PM, Blogger Kalman Rushdie said...

Oish - Great to hear from you. I hope this means there is a new post on your blog.

I know what you mean about it being too much. But you gotta admit, as sticks go, a lulav is pretty hip.

We want you to come visit. I'll be in touch.

 
At 1:08 PM, Blogger MC Aryeh said...

I actually follow that wise-man's very same advice in selecting my etrog nowadays. I so miss the arba minim shuk, and all shuks, really...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home